Shipping a vehicle From the USA to Australia
Here is a quick guide to Importing a vehicle and some things to look out for.
If you are thinking about purchasing a vehicle out of the USA and importing it to Australia to be converted under the RAWS Scheme here are a few things to look out for.
- When you purchase the vehicle you have to make sure that the vehicle has clear Title otherwise they will not allow the vehicle to leave the country. Clear Title means that no one owes any money on the vehicle and shows that you know own the vehicle.
- Make sure that the vehicle has not got any structural damage. If the vehicle is found to have structural damage the vehicle may be asked to be destroyed or exported back out of the country
- Try and buy off a reputable company.
- Once you own the vehicle you have to organise an import approval. Do not ship the vehicle without an Import approval as the vehicle will be held in bond over here until the Import approval has been granted and the bond storage costs are very expensive.
- Make sure you get an all up purchase price. Often you will see good prices advertised but when it comes to purchasing the vehicle the seller will add taxes etc on top or explain that the advertised price is for people who have government concessions or return soldiers and so on.
- Dodge dealers in the USA will not sell a new Dodge Ram if they believe the vehicle will be leaving the USA
- Check how much inland freight will be from where you purchase the vehicle from to where the vehicle is being shipped from. Can be over $2000
- When you choose a shipping agent find out where your vehicle will be stored whilst it is waiting to be shipped. Some have indoor storage and some are just outdoors with no cover so if there is a storm your vehicle can get damaged.
- When you get a quote for shipping the vehicle make sure you get quoted for a landed here cleared from customs costs. Some shippers will quote you what sounds like a good price, but by the time all the extra costs are added you get a shock. Extra costs can be packing and unpacking fees, handling, picking up the container and dropping it off at the unpacking yard fees, quarantine, insurance, customs and so forth.
- You will have to pay 10%GST on the cost of the vehicle before it gets cleared through customs and depending on what vehicle you purchase you might be up for 5% duty as well.
Trucks N Toys can organise this whole process for you and we have all insurances in place so the vehicle is insured from the moment the vehicle is picked up from the USA dealer to the moment the vehicle is picked up from Trucks N Toys. Taking the worry out of the shipping process.
Trucks N Toys have some very good contacts over in the USA for purchasing vehicles on our behalf. If you are struggling with the process of buying and or shipping a USA vehicle to Australia don’t be afraid to give us a call and see if we can help you in finding the vehicle you are after.
Dodge Ram Conversions Australia – www.trucksntoys.com.au
Sign up for monthly specials and new product releases.
We specialise in quality right hand drive conversions for new and used Dodge Ram and Ford Mustang. We have over 30 years experience in the motor vehicle industry. With our extensive knowledge we are producing quality right hand drive conversions. We are a Registered Automotive Workshop (RAW) and provide fully compliant ISO quality standard conversions.